SIC4311-A 228-byte NFC tag IC with UART interface and VBATT pin.
NFC-Forum Type 2 Tag with UART Interface
Able to harvest power from NFC devices up to 10 mA and allows external devices for passive operation mode.
- Product Overviews
- Support Tools
SIC4311 is a 228-byte NFC tag IC with UART interface and VBATT pin. The SIC4311 operates from RF energy from RFID/NFC and provides necessary features such as an on-chip regulator. The SIC4311 is intentionally designed to be a single chip for a minimized BOM NFC-tag-style application.
The SIC4311’s analog-front-end is designed to harvest energy from RF field efficiently up to 10mA. The on-chip regulator provides stable 3.3V to supply external load via pin XVDD such as sensor or MCU. The SIC4311 can operate in both passive mode as an ordinary RFID where power source is from RF and active mode as a peripheral device where power source is from a connected embedded system. In battery-operated solution, the additional VBATT pin can consume less power down to 0.1uA when idle. This feature can maintain battery life to last longer.
The EEPROM memory can be accessible and programmable from both wireless interface, which is RFID/NFC, and wire interface, which is UART. Apart from normal read/write EEPROM, RFID reader/NFC device can configure and control behavior of the SIC4311 via registers and transfers data through build-in UART toward UART connected end device, or vice versa, without wasting time in programming contents into EEPROM and then transferring.
Two 64-byte FIFO buffers for wired-transmission (TX of UART) and wired-reception (RX of UART) are provided for large block transfer to allow more free time for connected processors to perform other tasks.
The SIC4311’s input/output pins can be configured for user interactive indicator such as LEDs. 8 programmable GPIOs are provided. The SIC4311 is offered in a low-profile 16-pin QFN3x3.
- Write/read through NFC smartphone/RFID NFC/RFID reader device
- Direct data transfer from RFID to UART or vice versa
- Operating from either RFID power or external DC
- 3.3-V On-chip regulator for power harvesting mode
- Up to 10 mA source to power external circuit (Depending on harvested power from RF)
- Compatible with NFC Forum Tag Type 2
- +/-2% 1.8432MHz on-chip factory-trimmed oscillator
Interface and Peripheral
- RF interface based on ISO14443A – 106 kbps
- UART interface speed from 9600 to 115200 bps
- UART interface with hand-shaking option
- 7 programmable GPIOs
- Activity indicator pins
- RF detect
- RF Busy
- Reserve Power Ready
- 228 bytes EEPROM accessible from RF and UART
- 196 bytes user memory
- EEPROM organization enabling NDEF format
- EEPROM erase/write cycle up to 100,000 times
- EEPROM memory retention up to 10 years at 70oC
- 2 x 64-byte deep FIFO for UART data transfer – TX/RX
- Operating temperature from -40 oC to 85 oC
- Less than 0.1 uA in standby mode
- QFN3x3 – 16-Pin Package with Heat sink pad
Reference Design/ Evaluation kit
- Ready-to-use module
- Demonstration module
- Example Downloadable Android Applications
- Software / Sample firmware available
- Firmware upgrade via NFC
- NFC bridge for embedded systems
- Sensors NFC powered
- Metering/vending machines
- Smart interactive poster
- Smart home appliances
- Wireless industrial machine interface
- Customized/proprietary system RFID
- Smart toys
- Display-less home appliances